Web Design and Development

561-656-2011

Why Is Web Hosting So Important?

  • For those of you about to put your first website on the Internet.

    A website is actually just a bunch of files. HTML files, CSS files (stylesheets), images and photos, videos, etc. All of these files need to be in a folder called a directory on a computer that is connected to the Internet. That computer is called a “server” because it serves up website files when people come to visit. When you pay a company to put your files on their web server, you’re buying web hosting. They are hosting your website on their servers.

  • Web hosting is a critical component of putting your website on the Internet.

    It is so important because it is how your website will be delivered to viewers and ultimately to your customers. Your customers want the ability to access every aspect of your website any time of the day or night. So, here is a basic explanation of why choosing the right web hosting company is one of the most important website decisions you will make.

  • What is Web Hosting?

    As explained above, your website files are stored on a remote computer server, which is referred to as a host. Every website you ever viewed is hosted on a server. A fee is established for web hosting by a web hosting company either monthly or annually. The fee you pay is directly correlated with the service you receive. When you host with a large company for a small fee, you probably will not get great customer service. Your website will not be maintained since the cost of maintenance is also correlated with the technology used to build your site.

  • Why is Personal Customer Service Essential?

    It makes sense to use a full service web design company to build your website and host your site. This ensures you get the best customer service in all situations. The company that built your site will be the most familiar with all the technology involved with creating and maintaining your particular website. They will be able to solve any problems and answer all your questions without referring your concerns to someone else. This means you will get immediate satisfaction so your site runs smoothly. It boils downs to it all being about you, as the website owner, delivering the best possible service to your own customers.

  • What Should Web Hosting Cost?

    The cost is totally relative. Low cost hosting gets you a tiny slice of a server that is shared with a large undisclosed number of hosted customers. By large number I mean that it can be over 1,000 virtual hosts. One single server could house somewhere around 3,000 sites. The problem is that these websites all share the server’s resources. If one website simply gets a lot of visitors it could use 75% of a server’s memory for example, which means that the other 2,999 sites are left with 25% of the available resources. Needless to say, this can lead to the other websites on the server going down, or loading slowly. The customers who have nothing to do with the offending website can suddenly be affected by a single resource hog. Even worse, these issues cannot be predicted by the other customers on the server. This is called the “bad neighbor” effect and is one of the main reasons cheap hosting is not the best idea.

  • Bottom line, when it comes to web hosting, you get what you pay for.

  • Why Is Web Hosting So Important?


    Why Is Web Hosting So Important?